Thursday 8 December 2016

IBS AND FOOD INTOLERANCE – MARGARET’S STORY

The condition responds well to treatment, but because of the lack of information it can be difficult to find someone who understands the problem. Some clinical nutritionists believe many chronic conditions, such as certain chest and kidney troubles and arthritis, are caused by food intolerance. The dramatic improvement in some degenerative and nervous illnesses in people who have been treated for food intolerance – even if they have only used self-help methods – would seem to confirm this. Here is Margaret’s story:It all started when I was pregnant. I had lost a lot of weight and my bowel movement was never normal; I either had diarrhoea or constipation. After my son was born I had a rash on my legs which formed blisters.The doctor said it was post-natal depression and gave me tranquillizers. This went on for years, I was convinced it was something to do with food but I was given more and more tranquillizers, then anti-depressants. When I developed migraine -although it seemed like the last straw – it put me on the right road. I found a book in the health shop on headaches. It was the first time I had heard of food intolerance or elimination diets. I cut out all dairy produce, chocolate, tea and coffee and did improve a little but it was not until I had an asthma attack after drinking a glass of orange squash (containing E102, Tartrazine) that the doctor began to think about allergies. He referred me to a private doctor who just said I had severe allergies and sent me to a dietician. This was not very helpful and it was not until I found a doctor with an interest in clinical nutrition that I started to make progress. Tests revealed I had trouble with wheat, yeast and several other foods. The treatment suggested was an elimination /anti-Candida diet, vitamins and minerals.I really feel I am getting somewhere; for the first time in years my head is clear, I am not depressed, and my silly bowel is starting to behave.

No comments:

Post a Comment